Our Recommended Betta Keeping Products
On this page we roundup the betta keeping products we recommend the most.
Some of the questions we get asked the most are which betta products we recommend for specific situations, so we wanted to create an easy reference page to answer those questions quickly and simply.
Throughout our content we give careful and considered recommendations, but you can find them all here in list format, along with links to the relevant information.
If you’ve got any questions about any of the products just ask in the comments.
Disclaimer: if you buy one of the products we recommend, we may receive a small commission. This money contributes to the continuous running and improvement of the site. We tend to recommend Amazon, but if something is unavailable on Amazon we will include a link elsewhere. You may wish to shop around to get the best price, but Amazon does tend to be very competitively priced.
This is an area where it’s particularly important to consider the product recommendation alongside the supporting information. All of our content on betta disease and illness has detailed information on how and when to use the medicine, so make sure you refer to that when taking any action.
Recommended Betta Medication Products
- API Aquarium Salt (view on Amazon)
- API Fungus Cure (view on Amazon)
- Malachite Green (view on Amazon)
- Mardel Coppersafe (view on Amazon)
- Jungle Laboratories Fungus Clear (view on Amazon)
- API Triple Sulpha (view on Amazon)
- Maracyn Two by Mardel (view on Amazon)
- Kanaplex by Seachem (view on Amazon)
- Hikari Healthaid Metro + (view on Hikari website)
Remember to proceed with caution when using any medication. Thoroughly read the supporting documentation and information. We offer these as recommendations only – any treatment you administer is at your own risk.
Having a well-planned and regular cleaning regimen will help to keep your water, and therefore your betta, healthy. It’s not something you need to spend a lot on in terms of tools, but below are the ones we do recommend. Check out our article on how to clean a betta fish tank for a detailed guide on how to use them.
Recommended Betta Cleaning Products
- Marina Mini-Reach Algae Scrub/ Cleaner (view on Amazon) or Lee S Aquarium & Pet Products Super Algae Scrub (view on Amazon)
- Terapump Gravel Vacuum (view on Amazon)
Throughout the site you’ll see us say that betta keeping is more about keeping your water healthy than anything. If you’ve got healthy water, you’ll have a healthy betta. Here are some of the water conditioning products we recommend. Again, only use these when necessary and if you are sure of what you are doing.
Recommended Betta Water Treatment Products
- Tetra – Aquasafe Plus Water Conditioner (view on Amazon)
- API Stress Coat (view on Amazon)
- Easy Life Catappa X (view on Amazon)
In the vast majority of cases, having a heater for your betta tank will create the optimum conditions for your betta. We’ve written a detailed article on this here, but at a glance these are some of the heaters that we recommend. We’ve listed two different sizes for each below – which one you need will depend on the volume of your tank.
Recommended heaters for your betta tank
- Hydor Theo 25W (view on Amazon)
- Hydor Theo 50W (view on Amazon)
- Fluval Marina Mini 25W (view on Amazon)
- Fluval Marina Mini 50W (view on Amazon)
Filtration can be a difficult topic to understand at first. We’ve written two articles on it; one that explains the science of filtration; and another that looks at the best filter for a betta. For quick reference, here are those filter recommendations:
Recommended filters for your betta tank
- Hagen – AquaClear 20 Power Filter (view on Amazon)
- Hagen Elite Stingray 10 Underwater Aquarium Filter (view on Amazon)
- Aqueon QuietFlow Internal Filter Mini (view on Amazon)
And last but not least, we come to food. Giving your betta a varied and healthy diet is something you can do to easily improve its wellbeing. Mix things up a bit so your betta doesn’t get bored of having the same thing every day! See our detailed betta feeding guide for more info.
Recommended betta food
- Atison’s Betta Pro Food (view on Amazon)
- King British Bloodworm (view on Amazon)
- Omega One Freeze Dried Brineshrimp (view on Amazon)
- Ocean Nutrition Instant Baby Brine Shrimp for newly hatched brine shrimp (for young betta or fry) (view on Amazon)
- Seachem Garlic Guard (view on Amazon)
Whilst not essential, if you want to improve plant growth in your aquarium, we recommend checking out the following products. For more information, see our article on the best plants for a betta.