Preparing & Adding the water (step-by-step)
- Prepare your water in a clean container or bucket. Make sure the container hasn’t had any harmful substances in it such as chemicals or cleaning agents; it needs to be completely clean.
- Rinse it thoroughly with fresh tap water. Fill your container with the amount of water needed and the required amount of aquarium treatment.
- If need be, treat the water accordingly — see our guide on water for betta fish for instructions. Having a water conditioner on hand like this one on Amazon is helpful.
- Now carefully add the water from the container to the aquarium.
- You may want to check that the water you’re adding to the aquarium isn’t too cold. It doesn’t need to be at the exact same temperature as the aquarium, but the closer the better. Average room temperature (70℉) is fine.
How often should You do a water change?
This depends on whether or not you have a filter in with your betta. If you do have a filter, you’ll only need to do a 40% water change every 2 to 3 weeks. If you’re keeping your betta without a filter, it can vary.